Re: [TowerTalk] strange rotor problem

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] strange rotor problem
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:20:07 +0200 (CEST)
My expereince has been (with both those rotators) that for a reason I can't
explain, they end up full of filthy black dust, and the balls corrode. When I
have occasion to take either tower down (which isn't very often), I always
remove the  rotator, and wash the innards with WD40 - done outside! This also
gets the old grease out, although an old [paint brush helps. I don't worry
about losing the balls, since they're generally corroded, and I have a large
bag of 3/8 inch balls, which cost around  3cents apiece. Because any loss of
the balls wouldn't matter, I never lose any, of course.....
One problem I have had is when feeding the tower as a vertical with the beams
top loading, the RF current has burnt up a direction indicator pot. So
bypassing the pot (use physically big capacitors to handle the RF current) and
having a metal flexible strap connecting stub mast to tower seems helpful.
73
Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Apr 02 2006, 04:34 AM