Re: [TowerTalk] Guying on a small lot

To: "'Towertalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying on a small lot
From: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:00:36 -0700

> You misunderstood the PE.  The guys cannot be
> at the same tension, because they are different lengths.
>

>> am on two acres, the lot is not level and I could not put the tower in
>> the
>> best location because it turned out a septic field is in the way.

It seems like the answer is dependent on why the guys are different lengths.
His lot isn't level, so he may have to go further out because the lot is
sloping away in one direction (to maintain the same angle between the guy
wire and the tower).  I am planning a tower later this summer with exactly
that situation.  Each of the three guys will terminate at a different lot
elevation.  I'm going to pick each guy location so that the angle at the
tower will be the same for all three guys and I'll use the same tension for
all three.

However, if the angle between the guy and the tower is different for one or
more guys, then different tensions are required, or as you stated the tower
will try to move to equalize the horizontal component of the tension vector.

>> They say the important thing is maintaining the minimum
>> attachment distance from the base and the 120 degree spacing.  They also
>> say
>> the guys, though of different lengths of Phillystran, should be set to
>> the
>> same static tension.

In the case of sloping land, I'm not sure that the distance from the tower
is the key factor here.  What's important is the angle of the guy wires with
respect to the tower (not the ground).  If the land is sloping down from the
tower, you'll have to go further away to maintain the angle and if the land
slopes up you'll have to come closer in.

73,
Clay  W7CE