Re: [TowerTalk] Jungle forest attenuation

To: "'Gene Bigham'" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Jungle forest attenuation
From: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:15:50 -0700
Team

I agree with Gene. Just do it. Back in 1968 and 1969 I planned and set up a
number of VHF, UHF and HF full crypto radio systems in jungles in
Vietnam....and in other places. I was a Captain in the US Army then in the
Signal Corps and a graduate of the US Army Ranger School. In 1967 and 1968 I
taught US Army site commanders at the Microwave Radio Officers School before
going to Vietnam. My job in Vietnam included among other things planning and
setting up strategic communications for specific high value missions. Some
of the systems we planned, installed and operated were stealthy, in jungles
and all had to be effective in the jungle.

Don't underestimate what can be done communications wise in and from a
jungle...even using QRP.....and never underestimate the value of good
operating techniques, good timing, if digital communications are used the
value of auto-correlation techniques and path and frequency diversity,
proper frequencies and appropriate antennas.

I don't know if all the details have yet been declassified re the
communication of sensor data for sensors dropped into jungle canopies in
Vietnam in support of ARC LIGHT B52 bombing missions but you might try
searching for publicly available information regarding ARC LIGHT missions
for some interesting information re SENSOR VHF, UHF and HF communications in
and from jungles. Hopefully this information has finally been declassified.

If you are in a valley in a jungle research the use of knife edge
diffraction communication techniques using the mountains and ridges around
and above you.

Don't underestimate the use of NVIS techniques.

If all else fails the use of *big* amplifiers and *big* antennas and brute
force can work...we used monster dual 400 foot high "bill board" antennas,
dual frequencies (for quad diversity correlation transmission and detection)
and multi KW amps in some instances....but rarely as these were expensive in
dollars and lives and offered too big and too easy a target for the
operations we were engaged in.

In any event I recommend you just do it and have fun. Good luck and enjoy
working amateur radio pileups from the jungle! Let us know when you will be
on, your operating frequencies and the callsign you will be using.

73, Ted, K6XN

Ps If your experience is the same as mine you may find staying healthy will
be more of a personal challenge than communicating effectively from a jungle
:-)