Re: [TowerTalk] RF Exposure Calculator

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Exposure Calculator
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:55:30 -0400

> At 10:45 AM 4/25/2006, Peter Sundberg wrote:
>>You can download a program that does all calculations for you, be it
>>yagis,
>>dipoles, verticals or what..
>
> Very slick... and makes it easy to check across bands
>
> Does it take into account nearfield effects for low gain antennas?
>
> e.g. for a dipole or inverted V close to the ground, it's the ends that
> present the RF safety problem, not the far field radiation

Generally if you are talking inverted V you are taling 150, 75, or 40. Evne
when running the full legal limit, key down on those bands you can get
within a couple of feet of the ends of the antennas.  If they are high
enough off the ground that no one can reach up and touch it they will
probably pass the test.

> Another problem I ran into was with a phased array, where there's a lot of
> circulating power among the elements.  I suspect that for any

Even then, don't you have to get pretty close to any particular element even
in the hear field as inside a phased array?

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com