[TowerTalk] Mayday!!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mayday!!
From: "James" <semaj@suwanneevalley.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:16:19 -0400
Monday @ 2 PM
Heights tower 80 ft.
Old style fold over kit.
This is a 'used' tower from three sources.
It has bee up for three years.
I added two sets of guy wires to this free standing tower.
(the reason I have the tower is that it was not so 'free standing' in
Michigan Ice storm)
Attempted to lower the tower to work on antennas.
At 45 degrees the thrust bearing for the acme screw failed.
Dramatically I might add.

Plan:
I have a call into a man that has "a rather large" boom truck
With the idea that he can pull the tower into the vertical position.
Then I will disassemble the acme screw and its parts and install
a new thrust bearing.

That is the problem.  I have no idea what to ask for at 'Timken Bearings'
Would a 'roller bearing' be better than a 'ball bearing'?  I think so but my
education is in nursing. How do I describe the bearing to the sales person?
I can give the ID and the OD but do not know anything about how 'strong' it
should be.  To me stronger is better - but that is not always so.

I have an email into heights towers and the fall back position is to replace
the failed bearing with a duplicate of the original.

ANY ideas or insight would be appreciated.

73
KV4FE
James Bloomfield
Mayo Fl 32066