[TowerTalk] SteppIR beauty?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR beauty?
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:20:10 +0000
Since everyone else is wading in on this topic,
I've got some dissonant thinking I'm going to dump in,
on both sides:

Frankly, putting a 4 el yagi in a suburban neighborhood
ISN'T the most attractive thing one could do.  Leaving
it at 21 feet is dumb...it would seem smaller if higher.
Settling for a steppIR 3 el would have cut the aesthetic
impact in half; it's doubtful that the 'emergency communications'
actually provided would have been materially affected by
a couple of dB.  Nor, based on my personal experience, would
the ham have missed any great dx as a result.

THAT said, this wasn't a news story.  It was a bitch session,
and the managing editor and assignment editor should both
be taken to the woodshed for it.

The substance?  Some folks are angry at something which is
perfectly legal.  Why, then, does it matter that they're angry?
Where's the social impact?  And who was the realtor talking about
CC&R's?  Were they, or weren't they in place?  One infers not, but
the relevance of PRB-1 wasn't explored.

And that's why broadcast journalism and I parted company
20+ years ago.  The field reporter in that market is making
something like 22k a year...so insight isn't exactly to be
expected from her work product.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org