Re: [TowerTalk] Rising copper prices lead to rising cable prices

To: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rising copper prices lead to rising cable prices
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:01:42 -0400
On May 10, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Barry wrote:

> The US penny (pre-1982.  Post-1982 is copper plated zinc) is now worth
> about 2 cents in copper.

The copper alloy pennies are about 2.6 grams and ring nicely when
dropped (like a bell). The copper-coated zinc pennies are 3.1 grams
and land with a dull thunk when dropped.

Curiously, you can't tell if a 1982 penny is copper alloy or coated
zinc without weighing it on a sensitive balance, or dropping it and
listening for the ring or thunk.

Zinc and Nickel prices have risen, too, although not quite as
dramatically as copper.

I wonder if we'll see the return of the Zinc-plated Steel pennies
(like from 1943).

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901