Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kjones@virtualcohesion.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best tower for salt environment
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:35:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2006 8:06:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am working on a project that involves building a station  near salt water
in the Caribbean.  The idea of a crankup has been  tossed around, but I'm
wondering how well the mechanics would hold up over  time.

    Uhh, poorly? Too many exposed mechanical parts  including the haul
cables.

>  Using Rohn 45 is certainly an  option, but I'm assuming it would need to be
painted every year or two to  keep it in check.  I've also tossed the idea of
using a self supporter  around.

        If you're really worried  about it, talk to a commercial coatings
professional. Commercial towers that  have lost their galvanizing are sometimes
epoxied for an additional coating. The  prep is tedious as well as applying the
epoxy but it does do a good job of  sealing the outside steel surface. This
goes for either a guyed or  self-supporting tower.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams