[TowerTalk] re TitanDX

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re TitanDX
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 22:07:34 +0000
As a vertical Titan DX is up to par on 20, 17 and maybe 15.   Not too good
on 10 and probably 12.   useable on 40 but you'd be better off with a 1/4 w.
base fed pipe and some radials.  on 80 it's pretty bad.   But hey, it's a
multi multi band antenna so there are some tradeoffs.    If you are looking
for vertical antenna advice for HF, I'd have at least two:  a steppIR for
10-40, and some sort of 50 or 60 foot base fed vertical radiator over
radials for 80 with a wire off the top and a trap on it, to make it work as
an inverted L on 160.   That combination will in my opinion (and if properly
set up) do a lot more for you.    It's just basically impossible to have one
good antenna for such a wide frequency range regardless of what the ads say.
   If your Titan experience is like mine, expect a certain amount of fussing
with the antenna to get it to work right; put a line isolator in the feed
between ur coax and Gap's yellow 8X coming out of the antenna.   An swr
analyzer will make adjusting it way easier.

73

rob / k5uj