Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless ISP on Ham tower

To: Robert Hess <w1rh@yahoo.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireless ISP on Ham tower
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:53:10 -0500
At 11:14 AM 5/30/2006 -0700, Robert Hess wrote:

I have a 2.4Ghz dish on my tower at the 30ft level.  It's one of the
BBQ-like grill dishes, as my ISP tower is about 20 miles away and I need
all the gain I can get.  I have unshielded CAP-5 wire running from the
tower to the house, approximately 125ft away, to my router

I have never experienced any interference from the ISP setup to any ham
frequencies that I operate (HF, 6M & 2M) BUT I occasionally interfere with
the ISP dish.

I have a 5el 20M monobander at the 96ft level of the same tower, complete
with balun, and even running 2kw, I never interfere with the ISP but if I
go over to 160, 80 or 40 meters and use my inverted-vee suspended at the
86ft level from the same tower with NO balun, I shut down the ISP receiver
and I need to power it down and right back up to continue getting a
signal.  Same with 6M antenna at 105ft level.....I interfere with the ISP
when I kick on the 1200 watt amp but I don't shut it down just running 100
watts (normally.)  No balun on this beam either.

The coax cables all run right by the ISP receiver/dish, so I am thinking
that I have RF on the shields of the coax without the baluns.  Everything
is grounded so the next thing I plan to try is adding a balun on the
dipole, as that is the most accessible. And/or some ferrites someplace
or????   (Ideas???)

Chuck  KØTVD - Mo Valley, IA