Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod to ground window connection?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod to ground window connection?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:04:38 -0500
I would answer your question, but I couldn't figure out what it was, so
I will just give you some information.

A ground rod for a dipole with a polyphaser will probably be OK to
protect against induced voltage from close lightning strikes, but it
will be worthless if you get a direct hit.

I hate to scare you with this, but you should know the risks.  You have
to weigh this against the frequency of lightning in your area and the
probability of getting hit.

Assuming this is a dipole with no center mast support, here are the most
probable results if you get a direct hit. The lightning will vaporize
your feedline.  It will then travel down the ionized trail where the
feedline was, completely ignoring the ground rod, and follow the trail
into your house, where it will find the closest real ground, either a
water pipe, electrical system wiring, rebar inside concrete blocks, or
all of the above.  Most everything in your shack and house will be toast.

This is based on observations, having spent 38 years in the center of
most dense location for lightning strikes in the US.

There is a way to provide protection for a dipole, but it isn't simple.
You have to erect it using a center conductive mast, then add a ground
system, the same way you do for a tower.

Jerry, K4SAV