Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: "'Nick Pair'" <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:44:00 -0700
Hi Nick,

I've been reading about these Ufer grounds recently.  Never heard of them
before, in fact it seems like the consensus has always been that you should
NOT ground your tower to the rebar.  I can recall stories about concrete
tower foundations being cracked (almost exploding in some stories) form the
tower being attached to the rebar when a direct lightning strike hit.
Obviously, however, if it is in the NEC it must be a valid technique.

As I have a large supply of copper pipe and fittings I was thinking the
buried 7'x7' square of copper pipe around the foundation (but in the dirt...
probably treated with bentonite to improve the conductivity) would be good.
I was thinking of using type L soft copper to run from the ground "hoop" to
the tower and just connecting it to the hoop by soldering it to fittings in
the hoop.  The soft copper could easily be formed to make a gentle
transition from tower to ground... no sharp bends to confuse the electrons.
I've made a variety of bus bars and other heavy conductors by flattening and
machining copper pipe of all sizes.  It's easy to work with, has a fairly
good surface area if you are concerned about conducting at RF, and also has
a reasonable cross section if you are more concerned about conducting DC.
It's easy to calculate equivalent wire gauges for different pipe sizes.

I don't have an electrical inspection to be concerned with; I just want it
to work.  All my inspectors will be looking at is the structural foundation.
Also, I'm blessed by being in the one area in the entire US (SF Bay area)
that has the fewest lightning strikes per year.  Many (most?) guys out here
don't ground anything against lightning strikes and I've never heard on
anyone being hit.  That's as opposed to my old QTH in Zero land where I have
one friend who has experienced multiple hits.  In the past I've never
grounded my towers out here, but I thought I would ground this one.  For one
thing, it will be 35' to 40' taller to the top of the mast than anything
I've had in the past.

However, I'm still learning about these Ufer grounds, so maybe I'll change
my mind before we pour the concrete.

Thanks & 73 - JC, K0HPS