Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:47:36 -0400
<snip>
My question - Is it possible to have a direct lightning
strike on a tower and yet show no visible or hidden signs on
the tower and/or appendage(s) or show no 'secondary' signs
in the immediate area surrounding the tower?

Sure. Although the antenna on the old tower certainly displayed evidence of being hit as did all the coax fittings on top there was no sign of damage to the tower. No burn marks, nothing. You'd never know the tower had been hit.

The_current_system shows no signs of being hit on antennas or tower, or any secondary damage, but it has been hit many times and that has been verified visually. A number of hits the first 3 years left no visual marks. I am in the process of lowering the system for maintenance so in a few days I should know if there are any marks, or damage from a very active last two years.

As I've said before, the grounding for this system has over 600 feet of bare #2 cad welded to 32 - 33 eight foot ground rods.

Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL 40 year Life Member) N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2 www.rogerhalstead.com

Doug/VA5DX

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Porcupines and other wives tales

For those that still believe in this magic of reduction of
charge as a
protective device, I have for sale some rabbits feet that
you can hang on your tower to reduce lightning strikes. I
have had one on my tower for years and never had a strike.
Proof that they work!

73
Gary  K4FMX

Date: 7/4/2006