Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re:YetAnotherLightning

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] generators/transfer switches etc Re:YetAnotherLightning Strike
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:58:17 -0500
I had a local electrical contractor come out to estimate the cost of backup
power for the house, shack and barn.  Each has a 200 amp breaker panel.  I
have one 500 gal propane tank for the house and another for the barn about
100 yards away.

For all three they proposed the Generac 45KW Quietsource unit running off
the propane tanks.  It has a 2.4 liter inline 4 cylinder engine.  HP is not
specified.  The unit measures about 6X4X3 feet.

I called and asked why so much capacity is specified.  The answer is that
the proposal is their standard for a business installation which requires a
rating of 2X max current to avoid power dips.  On average the load is 25
percent of max.

We decided to let them do the barn because my wife has her business there
and we can write off the expense.  Also, she has a horse water treadmill and
we need to have backup power in case it is lost during the time when a horse
is in the unit with a lot of water that needs to be pumped out before
opening the access door.

For the shack I am thinking about installing a much smaller unit (15KW)
where I can run only lights, fridge and station equipment.

73, Keith NM5G