Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TT SHUTDOWN (was: 4 awg copper wire and Amp locks)
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:13:04 -0500
Craig, my apology to you, personally, that my "violation" comment was in
reference to the photo on your website. I have to believe that image is a stock
photo from the manufacturer of the product and not something that you shot
yourself.

Since my original post, the variety of responses has me wondering whether some
people are actually reading the messages and comprehending the information that
is being presented! Probably the most appropriate (although unexpected) comment
was by one individual who said the choice of grounding technology boiled down
to "risk assessment".

You don't fool with mother nature. People and their houses (who don't even own
a tower or antenna) have been stuck be lightning... with a variety of
consequences. So I have to agree with "risk assessment"... do nothing, do the
best you can, or take out a second mortgage for a grounding system... Then sit
back and let the dice roll.

Regarding the Amp C-loks, they seem to be in the same price category as the
Cadweld units. And I agree, the copper prices have gone through the roof. In
general, solid and stranded wire are in the same price range. (I'm seriously
thinking about pulling out all my house wiring and selling it on the scrap
market... I'll just get me some of them wireless extension cords I saw earlier
this year.)

One interesting idea that did came out of this thread (so far) is the use of
copper tubing instead of solid wire. I'd like to hear more comments pro/con
about this. I would expect tubing would be more cost effective and equal in the
capability to dissipate the energy in a strike.

Finally... I also agree with you regarding this reflector. I find it a very
useful vehicle for the exchange of ideas. I see the participants' range of
knowledge from those who come here to ask questions and learn, to those who are
the professionals in the specific industry being discussed.

Where I find a problem is in the people who can articulate old wives tales into
sounding reasonable and probable, therefore perpetuating junk science. Let's
try these topics on for size... I need help selecting some good divining rods
to help locate a new well on my acreage. Or more appropriate for TT, a standard
single phase 240 VAC 30 amp circuit for your rotating tower wired to NEC specs
contains how many wires?

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 2