Re: [TowerTalk] signals on inside of a pipe.. RE: TT SHUTDOWN(was:4awg c

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] signals on inside of a pipe.. RE: TT SHUTDOWN(was:4awg copper wire and Amp locks)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:40:38 -0500

It is far from common mode. The voltage difference between the top of a
tower and the bottom of it can be many thousand volts due to its inductance.
A coax cable hung on the tower, even if grounded at several points as it
comes down the tower, will share a portion of the strike current that the
tower carries. That puts a large differential voltage between coax ends.

As explained in my earlier post because of the large low frequency current
on the shield, energy will be induced into the center of the coax and onto
the center conductor. Because of the delay in propagation inside of the coax
compared to that outside the coax there will be a differential voltage
developed between center and shield at the bottom end. This can all occur
even with the center conductor shorted to the shield at the top of the coax
even with no antenna attached. Or with shorted type feed system on antenna.

>Voltage that propagates
> down the coax is DIFFERENTIAL MODE voltage -- voltage induced on
> the ANTENNA that is connected to the coax. And as I said in an
> earlier post, that differential signal WILL behave like any other
> signal on coax until the coax vaporizes. Remember that the
> differential mode voltage is defined as the voltage between the
> center conductor and the shield.
>
> Another point. There are many forms of antennas and ways to hang
> them. Many of us have WIRE antennas that are connected by coax to
> our stations, and may not have them associated with a tower. I've
> never had a dipole with the coax coming down a tower.
>
> But that coax on the tower is going to be in parallel with the
> tower, and if it is bonded to the tower at both ends, nearly all
> of the current is going to flow on the tower, both by virtue of
> its cross section (less inductance and resistance), and because
> the coax acts as a common mode choke.

As explained above there is a large voltage difference between the top of
the tower and the bottom of the tower during a strike. All lines in parallel
with the tower will share the total current. All have inductance including
the tower. To think that there will be no or  little current carried by
these lines is a mistake.

73
Gary  K4FMX