Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX 48 tower

To: Paul@paulferguson.us, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX 48 tower
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:12:33 -0500
I'm not familiar with the Rohn HDBX 48 ft tower, but the only advantage that
I ever saw to having your rotor located at the bottom of the tower was just
the fact that you didn't need to climb the tower to work on it or replace it
if it became damaged. Placing it at the bottom would require that you also
install a couple of plates so you can use thrust bearings to help hold the
large amount of weight off the rotor. If you want to lower your rotor down
inside the tower another 8 ft then just make certain that the plate the
rotor set on is secured to the tower so it has no movement, I suggest
welding it in place.

However, damage to the mast from wind usually occurs above the masthead and
I have found that using a high quality thick walled mast provided as much
protection as one could have from ever coming out to see your mast bent and
your beam pointing to the moon. One thing that I highly recommend is that
you mount your beam at 3 ft from the masthead and no higher. If you mount
any higher than in high winds a much larger load is placed on the mast and
the chances of it bending will be increased.

I also run my mast about 20 ft above the antenna and mount a porcupine on
top for static discharge.

Hope this helps.

73
John, KA9OFM