Re: [TowerTalk] HBDX 48

To: Paul@PaulFerguson.us, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HBDX 48
From: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Paul,

  Well the salt form the ocean is not problem as I live about 45 miles inland
and 1300 ASL. But there are four paper mills within a ten mile radius and
although they certainly have cleaned up in the last ten years, they do
contribute tons of particulate to the atmosphere. I'd recommend a zinc rich
paint to new bolts after torquing at minimum and to any edges that chow any
color whatsoever. IMHO anyway.

  73
  Nick
  WB7PEK

Paul Ferguson <Paul@PaulFerguson.us> wrote:
  Nick,

Thanks very much for the information. I had my HDBX 48 up for 10
years at the previous QTH. When I took it down a year ago, it had
almost no rust except for the nuts and bolts. About 1/3 of them had
some rust. I have ordered replacements rather than try to clean them.

At my new QTH, I decided to paint the tower flat black to make it
less obvious. This may help with future rust.

I wonder if you get a lot of salt deposited on the tower?

73,
Paul
K5ESW
Raleigh, NC