[TowerTalk] Towers and Sea Birds

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Towers and Sea Birds
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:33:30 -0400
Try a porcupine or rabbit's foot.

Seriously, build your antennas strong enough to not get bend and don't worry
about it.  By thankful it's not a parrot chewing on your cables.

From: "mryan001"
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:22:24 -0400

Well here is a new wrinkle for the brain trust.  I have a consisent problem
with large sea birds ( OSPREYs ) sitting on the highest antenna on my tower
at night.  The tower is cranked down to roughly 30ft at night but it is
still one of the tallest perches around in this flat, waterfront
neighborhood.  All the sailboat masts are taken by other birds so ERNIE has
decided to perch and POOP on mine.  On Friday he decided to land on a lower
antenna and bent the reflector on my 5 ele 6 meter beam.  I fixed that today
and placed a large brown OWL up there in the process. No birds today, but
ERNIE is back tonight discussing flood insurance premiums with the owl.  The
owl has had no effect in scaring off the Osprey. So here in lies the
quesiton: what if anything, short of a revolver, is effective in keeping sea
birds such as the large poop laiden Ospreys off a tower?  Serious responses
please...thanks.  - Mike