Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Lengths Revisited

To: "jknodel M Knodel" <jknodel@msn.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Lengths Revisited
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:00:52 -0700
At 05:20 PM 7/24/2006, jknodel M Knodel wrote:
>Thanks to those that already replied to my earlier post.  I would like to
>perform the calculations for wind analysis and guying myself.  Does anyone
>know where I might find the equations to use for these calculations?

There's an article (and spreadsheet) published in QEX (or was it QST) some
years ago, but it's available on the ARRL website:

http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/ in general, but:
The article by Frank Travanty:
"Tower and Antenna Wind Loading as a Function of Height", QEX July/August
2001, pp. 23-33 (http://www.arrl.org/qex/1123.pdf)

http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/Travanty.zip Excel workbook to analyze
antenna/tower wind loading

http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/06_March/3x06Rynone.zip WINDLOD.EXE and DOC
file for "An Analysis of Stress in Guy-Wire Systems (55.5 kB)

>  Does
>Rohn actually publish the equations (and calculation method) that they use
>to determine the windloading?

The calculation is actually fairly straightforward, and the above articles
should get you started.

>  I would like to crunch the numbers and then
>run them by a civil PE that I work with to approve them.  Thanks.

If you do the calculations "under the supervision" of your co-worker, then
they can probably be legally wetstamped by the engineer. This is
essentially what happens in engineering firms.. the EITs do the grunt work
and the PE signs off on the final design. (I'm grossly simplifying here,
but, essentially that's how you get the 6 years of experience doing
engineering, without a license, so that you can qualify to take the test to
get the license)

Jim, W6RMK