Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tilt-over question

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn tilt-over question
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 05:13:50 -0000
From: "Robert Nickels" <w9ran@oneradio.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:12 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn tilt-over question

>I have a 58 foot Rohn 25 tilt-over and have a question that
>I can't find
> answered in the Rohn literature or on the web.
>
> The guy who helped me install the tower said that two
> bolts should be
> installed at the hinge during normal operation (I think
> this is what
> Rohn calls the "shipping tab").  The manual says these
> should be
> installed for initial installation, and obviously need to
> be removed to
> tilt the tower over.   Not being a climber, this means I
> have to recruit
> a buddy to climb up and remove the two bolts whenever I
> tilt it over,
> and replace them afterward, which is an inconvenience.
> My question
> is:  Is it necessary for these bolts to be installed, or
> is the
> combination of guys and the boom clamp sufficient?
>
> I followed all of Rohn's instructions and the tower has
> held up well so
> I don't want to cut corners, but the manual doesn't say
> whether these
> bolts should be installed, or not.   Thanks for any
> advice.

>From the Rohn catalog:

"In seconds the entire tower top is folded over and
accessible. When work is completed, tower is easily returned
to up-right position and you never leave the ground!"

I interpret that to mean that you don't have to climb the
tower twice to remove and reinstall the bolts. That's why I
bought it, so I wouldn't have to climb it. Mine has been up
for 29 years without those bolts.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ