Re: [TowerTalk] Birds on Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds on Antennas
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:07:43 +0800
> Rock salt crystals would only be a very short range propostion
> anyway. They are irregular, not round. Hence, they would fly off in
> an uncontrolled direction, once leaving the muzzle. Round shot has
> some ballistic coefficient. Irregular crystals have zero or negative.
>
> Bad, bad idea.
>
> I have decent sucess just clanking the rotator selenoid. If that does
> not work, an EMPTY BB gun fired in the direction of the offender,
> seems to work also.
>
> INK N4OO

Why not use the same sling shot one uses to hoist
wire antennas over trees?

I would use some large chunks of dog food, perhaps
pre-frozen or something similar from a bird food
supply.  Not only would it make the birds uncomfortable
due to the flying objects whizzing by their beaks,
they might choose to chase them to eat them.

The frozen food is biodegradable so it doesn't harm
your lawnmower and the bird lovers cannot complain --
you are merely feeding the birds!  ;-)

And yes, peach pits are also biodegradable, but I
would guess that no-one would believe that you did
not intend to harm the birds!

These human-interactive methods are much less
convenient than stringing fishline and the like.

BTW:  Do they react to high levels of RF on the
antenna?  Intermittent RF beacons are legal.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
http://bibleseven.com