Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete, etc

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete, etc
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:23:16 +0000
Phil and list:

Phil I agree with you and this is not directed at your comments but an attempt
to get people to the best information on the subject.

I have actually posted several times a basic concrete primer to this list, but
for those who missed them please go to www.cement.org ; then cement & concrete
basics page; then to frequently asked questions. You will find most of the
answers you need there. The site is a terrific starting point for  more in
depth research if you need it.

Concrete cures asymtotically to its mix design strength. The rule of thumb is
60% after 7 days. My concrete specs allow stripping of forms and construction
be a good conservative number. Mix design strength is stated at 28 days cure.
It reality the actual strength achieved is somewhat variable and hardly ever
meets the mix design exactly, usually a litte lower or higher but within a
statictical derived limit.

Concrete is poured in forms in the ground to minimize the amount of concrete
used, to compenstate for unstable soil or to create specific geometric shapes
as required by the design. It is not poured in forms, in the ground, to
eliminate weak points due to soil contact. It is poured in forms above ground
for the obvious reasons as it needs to comform to some final shape in the air.
Proper mix, placing and consolidation determine the quality of the final
product.

The water cure of concrete place in the ground, especially a single tower base
foundation is not a bad idea. The sophisticated admixtures and continuous
curing is used mostly for slabs and flat work and very large surface area
placements.

Another web site to research aci.org ( american concrete institue). They
publish the concrete building code.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X