Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary 160 meter antenna question

To: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary 160 meter antenna question
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 21:11:08 -0700
From: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 7:01 PM

> For your 1 day option of running an 80 meter dipole on 160, here is a
> piece of data for you.  Assuming an antenna height of 50 ft, if you are
> feeding the dipole with 100 ft of RG8X, loss in the coax on 160 meters
> will be approximately 18 dB.  For 100 watts in, you get 1.6 watts
> radiated.
>
> Feeding it as a tee without a good ground will work better, but you will
> light up all your equipment.  I wouldn't run phone, you may need your
> lips for something later.

Running CW isn't without pitfalls either, Jerry. Last time I ran
portable on 160 meters at El Mirage dry lake bed, I kept getting
RF burns from the rivets that hold the plexiglass finger paddles to
the metal swing arms on my Bencher keyer paddles (the base of
my 160 meter vertical was only about 8 feet away). As far as I
am concerned, however, getting an occassional RF burn still beats
dealing with urban noise levels on 160 meters :)

P.S. Go with the "T" configuration and take some good hi-mu
ferrites with you for the MIC and Keyers cables.