Re: [TowerTalk] Testing ICE arrestors

To: "'K8RI on TowerTalk'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Testing ICE arrestors
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:47:15 -0500
When I mentioned earlier that a hi-pot tester should be used I had forgotten
that the ICE units have a coil to ground. A hi-pot tester would do no good
there.

With Polyphaser units there is no coil to ground, only a gas tube. A hi-pot
tester is what Polyphaser recommends for testing their units. In fact they
even sell one for that purpose. It is called FIST.

To test MOVs Polyphaser also recommends the hi-pot tester. It is true that
the normal failure mode is shorted but they can fail open too.
The low current ( a few microamps) from a hi-pot tester will not harm them.
The capacitors (if they are ok) will withstand higher voltages than the
breakdown voltage of the MOVs.

73
Gary  K4FMX