Re: [TowerTalk] Grouting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grouting
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:24:15 +0000
>FastSetT Non Shrink Grout by Quikrete at Home Depot.

When I put my tower up 25 years ago, I could'nt find any "non-shrinking
grout" locally.  The store sales clerks didn't even know what I was talking
about.  I needed only a small amount for the job, so I took some standard
Quickrete concrete mix from a partially used bag I had on hand, and used a
sledge hammer to break up the gravel into small enough pieces to fit easily
under the tower base plate and allow the mix to thoroughly surround the
levelling bolts.  I re-mixed the pulverised concrete mix and shoved it in
place with a wooden stick and trowel, which worked perfectly, and after all
this time I see no evidence of shrinkage or deterioration from water getting
under the base plate.  There was only about a 5/8" gap under my base plate
and the base plate itself is about 5 inches square - part of the base
insulator assembly salvaged from an old broadcast tower, that I used with my
Rohn 25, so I doubt there would be visible shrinkage in any case.  The grout
should do two things: keep water from standing around the bolts, and
eliminate the possibility of the bolts loosening and backing away from the
initial adjustment.  I don't think the grout is expected to bear any of the
load on the base plate.

Don k4kyv