[TowerTalk] New tower install

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New tower install
From: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:28:14 +0100
Some time in the next year I plan on installing a new tower in North Carolina.
It will most likely be 100' or less out of rhon 25 g.

 I was planning on making the base much like the one I have now.

 It has 3 galvanized pipes installed into the slab that the rhon 25g slides
into.

 I have a few questions....

 Would it be better to buy the short base sections and pour the concrete around
them? I know they were made for this but I worry about the thin wall of the
rhon corroding over time due to the contact with the wet/damp concrete.

 Next question.....

 After the hole is dug, the rebar installed and either the short tower section
or galvanized pipes are in place, how would you install the ground rods?

 The tower will be right next to my shack so I was planning to place the
rf/lightning ground common point there.

 I could place 1 or more ground rods in the hole before the concrete is poured
and radiate out from there. It would be a lot simpler to add all my ground
connections under the tower before the concrete is poured.

 Would you make the common point under the tower or beside it where it could be
accessed later?
 Or maybe even have the center ground rod sticking out of the slab near the
middle of the tower and connect the others to that point?

 Thanks
 Joe KI4ILB

 It never hurts to plan ahead...