[TowerTalk] Crankup Basics

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup Basics
From: "JT Croteau" <jt.w6fo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:05:11 -0400
Could someone give me a primer on how crankup towers typically work?
Does anyone have any closeup pics of the mechanics associated with
crankups?  My only tower experience to date has been with Rohn 25G
crap.

I'm in the process of acquiring all the sections and parts of a ~10
year old 55' Heights aluminum crankup and planning on restoring it and
getting it in the air this fall at my QTH.  It was just lowered a week
ago and was reported to be in good condition by the OM who did the
removal but that it "will need work".  The top may be bent slightly as
it didn't crank down as cleanly as it should have  when they lowered
it.  However, the cable system is supposed to be in excellent
condition.  I currently have two of the 8' inner sections in my
possession now and should the rest of the tower this weekend.
Thankfully Heights is still in business and only a 7 hour drive from
me.

Thanks

--
 JT Croteau - W6FO - Canton, GA