Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Vertical with No Radials on Metal Roof
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:14:20 -0400
I had a Butternut HF9V on the 25x45 foot metal roof of my garage about 12-15
feet off the ground.  In order to finesse the bonding issue, I used a pair of
125-foot radials that were laid out serpentine fashion to couple to each of the
sheets of roofing, rather than relying on the inter-sheet connection.  I didn't
have an earth ground connection, but I agree I probably should have.  I don't
know whether the idea of capacitive coupling this way has any technical merit,
but the antenna worked quite well, and even though it was only about 40 feet
from the house/shack, no RFI was evident when using it in an SO2R setup as the
second radio antenna.

73, Pete N4ZR