Re: [TowerTalk] small antennas

To: "'W4ZW'" <w4zw@comcast.net>,"'Craig Clark'" <jcclark@wildblue.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] small antennas
From: "Michael K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:01:05 -0700

The 3 element Steppir is sure hard to beat, a 1:1 SWR on all bands 40 thru 6
meters, with the 30/40 kit installed.

I had a A3 Cushraft for 20 years and had a few problems with the traps, but
it worked fine other that.  I could not take it apart though as the aluminum
parts had welded themselves together.

My 3 element Steppir certainly works better than the A3 Cushcraft.

Mike

> Well, IMHO, I think the Cushcraft A4 would be a good choice
> of antenna. I have been using CC antennas for 30 plus years
> and have yet to have had a problem with one. My only failure
> was when my tower came down in a micro-burst. For some
> reason, meeting an oak tree on the way down destroyed the
> following CC antennas: X7, 5 el 6m and 19 el 2m. Darn <grin>

I agree.  I have used the Cushcraft A4S for years and the A3 before that.  I
also have the 3 element SteppIR and two A4S's up, one of the A4S's is about
the same height as the SteppIR.  Often the A4S is quieter than the SteppIR
and the guys at SteppIR and I are still trying to figure out why.  But to my
ear and use for three years now I can hardly tell much difference between
them except on 10M where the A4S has four elements. Of course the A4S isn't
well matched up on 20M SSB because I have it set for low CW.

 I bought the SteppIR because I'm oceanfront and this ocean eats aluminum/SS
fitted yagi's.  I usually need to refurbish the aluminum antennas every 24
months, but the SteppIR is sealed and mine has worked flawlessly.  Both are
great antennas.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

It has removed 71 spam emails to date.