Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:37:57 -0500
Keith has put together a pretty good list, and for a Cadillac system at 70
feet, probably the definitive resource.

But there remains plenty of hamming fun to be had at less than this, and
that doesn't mean resorting to wires in trees (K9YC - I do not mean to
denigrate the idea of wires in trees).

Plenty of excellent installations have been created where towers were
acquired for free, or mysteriously left in the yard through the night and
re-assembled and installed.

NOW HERE'S THE BUT: Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it doesn't have to
be done properly. The ham who received towers for free didn't just slap them
up and hope for the best. They were meticulously inspected, bolts were
replaced, new bolts from known suppliers of quality materials were acquired,
new guy wires and new tensioners bought, the proper amount of concrete was
purchased and poured and the manufacturer's recommendations followed (if
applicable, if not he applied his engineering degree to the problem), proper
assembly techniques were followed, the correct safety harnesses used.

There is a universe of difference between being resourceful and being
careless or negligent.

I would hate for this discussion to turn away those willing to trade their
time and labour for the savings against buying everything new.

You can be thrifty, but what you don't pay for with cash you do pay for with
the added effort of making sure it's a sound installation.

73, kelly
ve4xt