Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Generators and UPS's

To: "WA3GIN @ Arlington County, VA" <wa3gin@erols.com>,Doug Rehman <rehman@surveil.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Generators and UPS's
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:00:07 -0700
At 08:03 AM 8/25/2006, WA3GIN @ Arlington County, VA wrote:
>Perhaps when not receiving a true sine wave from the generator you
>should reduce the load on the UPS to 50%

A standard (non-inverter style) puts out a very nice sinewave, albeit of
varying frequency as the engine speed changes.  I have seen generators that
put out bad waveforms in weird load situations (enough magnetic flux to
saturate the iron, for instance, or if the current waveform is very peaky),
but by and large, the physics of how generators work (spinning magnet
inside a coil) inherently generates a clean sine wave.

I'd look to load characteristics, if it's not a governor control law issue
(voltage and/or frequency stability).  In particular, high transient
currents can overload the generator in an instantaneous sense, without
noticeably affecting the average power output or voltage.  You get a funky
sinewave with a little dip in the top.

>APC has the best answer for you on their web page...

APC sells a lot of different UPSes, line conditioners, inverters, etc, for
all sorts of applications.  Unfortunately, their consumer/small office line
doesn't have very good descriptions of how they handle various types of
problems.  Get into their professional/data center type products and you
get a lot more information (and assistance from them in specification of
the correct kind).. but you'll effectively pay for it.

For instance, there's not a heck of a lot of data on APCs website for
something like the BR500 (a very popular UPS for desktop computer sorts of
uses), although there is reams of stuff on their computer room and data
center products