Re: [TowerTalk] Trenching (OUCH)

To: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>, <DrD@2020.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trenching (OUCH)
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:54:17 +0000
Mike:

     While you're recuperating this weekend, you might want to get some
electrician's putty at Home Despot or Lowe's to use with your one-shots.  The
first one I fired off leaked out through the bottom of the crucible.  After I
cut off the bad slug atop the ground rod, I refitted the second ceramic mold to
the ground rod.  I then put a bead (more like a snake) of putty around the rod
just underneath the mold so as to prevent (I hoped) any leakage.  As a
belt-and-suspenders move, I also put some putty around the holes where the
wires entered the mold.

     After I fired the shot (stay upwind from it - it's pretty smoky) and let
it cool, I removed the ceramic mold.  The resulting slug on the ground rod was
nice and round and smoothly attached to the wires.

     I fully admit that the first erroneous shot might have been my fault and I
might not have needed the putty.  But I didn't want to ruin any more shots, and
all of the remaining shots went just fine.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>