[TowerTalk] running cables up the tower

To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] running cables up the tower
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:50:15 -0400
Here's another set of questions on "standard" practices:

On a Rohn 25/45/55 tower, is it standard practice to run hardline, coax and
control cables up the tower legs inside the tower or outside? Does Rohn
specify that the section bolts go head-in-nut-out because they expect cables
to be run along the legs inside the tower? (Everyone has the bolts going
that way, don't they?) Does running cables one way or the other (in or out)
interfere with handholds for climbing? Are cable ties the best way to attach
the cables?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to string cables on the outside of the
tower. Otherwise, wouldn't you need someone at the bottom to feed the cables
through the lattice while they're pulled from above? Regardless of whether
the cables go in or out, I assume the best way to pull cable up the tower is
with a pulley or gin pole.

More specifically, in addition to a fairly large complement of coax (5 runs)
and control cables (7 runs), I'm thinking about putting a couple of runs of
1-5/8" hardline (because that's what I have) up to my stack switch at about
65'. Seems to me it will be difficult to feed this stuff into the tower and
it may be better to run it on the outside. Has anyone out there run 1-5/8"
hardline up a ham tower? How did you do it and how did you attach it to the
tower?

I'm interested in any and all thoughts on running cables up towers from
people who have done it.

73, Dick WC1M