Re: [TowerTalk] C31 - 1 feed line or 3

To: n8de@thepoint.net, Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31 - 1 feed line or 3
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:40:41 -0700
At 11:33 AM 9/1/2006, Don Havlicek wrote:
>When measuring the 'resonance' of an antenna at the shack, you are NOT
>measuring the antenna's resonance .. you are measuring the resonance of
>the antenna and feedline.
>Remember .. the feedline SHOULD have NO effect, but it will, unless it
>is an exact 1/2-wavelength multiple at the particular frequency at which
>you are making measurements.

Depends if you're measuring dips in SWR or actual resonance (i.e. no
reactive component in impedance).

If you're measuring the SWR (not the R+jX) at the shack end, the
transmission line just moves the apparent R+jX around a circle of constant
SWR (ignoring TL losses).  That is, the TL doesn't change the SWR, so a dip
at a given frequency is still a dip. (assuming the TL's not radiating)

If you're measuring the reactive part of the impedance, then, yes, the TL
makes a huge difference.