Re: [TowerTalk] Ernesto ate my windom

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ernesto ate my windom
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:35:01 -0400
I've been using Flexweave (not sure of gauge) for a couple of years on a
dipole.  I had a failure after a wind storm where some tree branches had
abraded the cable.  I think this is a failure mode to worry about.  If
the wire rubs on anything, it will fail strand by strand until the whole
thing gives out.  I replaced the failed section with Copperweld - better
than disfiguring the tree.

As others have said, the stuff oxidizes pretty quickly.  I found it very
difficult to solder after it had been out in the weather.  How do you
strip the oxide off a zillion small strands? (Chemically, maybe?) Solid
or conventional stranded wire is a lot easier to handle that way.

Given the oxidation, you have to wonder what the RF properties of
flexweave are after weathering.  It's like Litz wire.

73 Martin AA6E