Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Gear resource needed

To: <jay@kt5e.us>, "'Al Toothaker'" <N6TA@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Gear resource needed
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 00:03:05 -0400
How do those "auto twist" carabiners work? I have some Petzel twist-lock
carabiners and find them difficult to open with one hand, especially when my
hands are tired from climbing, working, etc. I only use them to attach the
fall-arrest lanyard to the back D-ring and to attach a 6" strap to the chest
D-ring (the strap has a standard screw-lock carabiner at the other end that
I use for quick positioning/rest.) My fall arrest lanyard has big gorilla
hooks with a release catch opposite the opening that has to be depressed
before the hook can be opened. That's a lot easier than the twist-lock
carabiners, but it would be nice to find something even easier. Would you
recommend the auto-twist type?

73, Dick WC1M