Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

To: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:30:44 -0700
A similar technique is to run a line over the tree with a pulley on one end.
Run the antenna rope through the pulley. Pull the pulley up into the tree,
playing antenna rope dead end up through the pulley until the pulleys are as
high and as close to the tree as you wnat them. You have to play the two
ends (and maybe a supported center) alternately until everything is where
you want it. Then at each end (and maybe center) you tie off the pulley rope
and the antenna rope at the bottom of the same tree. This has the dual
benefits of providing some slack through the pulley to compensate for tree
swaying and preventing the tree limb bark from enveloping the antenna rope
and making it impossible to take down. The tree can still grow around the
pulley rope, capturing it, but you can always lower the antenna from the
pulley. The slack is taken up by "rope over pulley" instead of "rope against
rope," so it should last longer.

73,

/Rick N6XI