Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR v. Logs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR v. Logs
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:53:18 -0400
Mike wrote:

A friend of mine has a MonsterIR. There was a problem with the
antenna whereby it got locked in some random configuration (not
tuned for any ham band). It took something like a month of
troubleshooting with Fluid Motion Systems before they determined
that the all of the stepper motors had to be upgraded (originally they
thought the problems was with the controller in the shack). He had
to drop the antenna off the tower to implement the fix on each of
the motors.  Major PITA. Don't get me wrong, it's a great antenna.
He really loves it and he has a terrific signal, but its a complex
electromechanical assembly up high in the air.
-0-

Not to be critical of a non-sequitur, Mike, but the question concerned
a 3 el SteppIR, which has been on-market for 4+ years now.

Will new products have gotchas?  u betcha!  Having to take off a
MonstIR is a huge pain in the gotchas.   But I can honestly say that
I was 2 hours from box to tower with my 3el, ran it through a VT winter,
and never had a problem.  Would have longer experience, but relocation
got in the way.  Anticipating another 3 el, with 30/40m DE, for suburbia.

N2EA