Re: [TowerTalk] 90mph windloading

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jimjarvis@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90mph windloading
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:29:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2006 10:42:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Does anyone have a feel for the regulatory implications  of
going with a building code which requires 90 mph windload  ratings?

    Regulatory? In what sense? Local building codes  ARE regulations.

>  Is this simply a strategy by the league of  municipalities to
price amateurs out, since they can't regulate them  out?  It's
hard to argue with safety.

    Hmm, sounds a little paranoid but I doubt it.  Windspeed ratings are
based on local conditions and industry standards. All  3074 county windspeed
ratings are in the TIA-2222 Tower Standard but the  building department can
upgrade
it if they see fit.

    Yes, it's a SAFETY issue.

>  It  appears to rule out the MA series of tubular crankups,
and possibly lighter  weight self-supporters, and it adds an
overlay of engineering expense which  wasn't there before.

>  Or am I missing something?

Yes. The MA-series is NOT the right tower  for the job. Time to make another
selection.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -