Re: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline

To: tomhellem@czo.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:13:35 -0700
Hello Tom,

That stuff is getting harder to find.  Used to be CATV companies locally
gave free reign to hams locally to pick through the piles of spool ends; Now
local CATV Comapnies often say no to hams, and let metals recyclers get the
ends.  Great, Extremely low loss stuff, the 75 ohms impedance can be dealt
with in various ways,  (or even ignored iin a lot of cases)

Your thought of splicing probably should be improved, so as to not produce
large impedance disturbances on the line, especially if using in the VHF/UHF
or higher frequencies.

I have a collection of old  EME (moonbounce) Engineering newsletters from
Eimac that shows a lot of examples of large VHF and UHF arrays that were
homebrewed, and needed  to work well for Moonbounce.  Was surpised to see
one example using a junction of 75 ohm CATV feeders  simply strapped  all
the shields togiether with hose clamps,  with the center conductors simply
extended 3" or so straignt  outside the jackets, and strapped together,
soldered,  with bare wire.... no impedance matching considerations at all,
on a VHF EME antenna!

If your cable  is .75" cable, splice connectors are very easy to make, using
a double female UHF connector, a hack saw, hose clamps, and sealing tape.
The barrel connector center contacts accept the .750 cable center with a
snug fit, and the OD of the barrel is a slightly loose internal fit to the
cable jacket.  You remove (dig out  with Needle nosed pliers)  the foamed
dielectric about 1.5 inches in on the cable ends and push fit the cable
into/onto  the barrel after hacksawing several slots parallel to,   and
symmetrically  around,  the cable jacket  centerline.   The saw kerfs allows
the ID of the jacket to slightly decrease, and a  snug fit to the barrel
when clamped.   Use dielectric grease between the barrel, and the inside of
the aluminum jacket, and tighten the jacket, using small hose clamps.  Seal
the whole thing really, really,  well with electrical tape, coax seal,
etc...
As I recall, on middle HF freqs the stuff has less than .1 db per hundred
feet loss.
The jacket kinks with permanent deformations easily if you or someone before
you bent the cable
into too small of a radius.  Be careful to avoid this..

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599