[TowerTalk] QST - warning about setting up dx sked

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] QST - warning about setting up dx sked
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:58:09 -0500
Greetings,

Just wanted to share my experience - sorry if it is slightly off topic
but wanted to let the group know because I know many of you are dx'ers.

I wrote to a Russian ham on email with the question of setting up a try
on 40 meter CW for my 5 band waz award.  Well, I decided to include

the Russian translation from a free translation page.  Well, mistake big
time.  I will not print here in the email the result but will tell you

avoid such translation machines on the Internet.

I sent (in part) in English:  "I think we should use CW and the time for
best propagation would be 1145 UTC."  Well, the translation page into
Russian gave me something very different and unfortunately I had already
sent it when I decided to check out the Russian in another page.  Well,
just plug in the above English into the following page for English to
Russian and then paste the Russian back into the same page or another
free translation page (I checked two of them with the same result) and
you will not like what you see in English.  (I hope the actual Russian I
sent is not exactly the same)

http://translation2.paralink.com/

It translated my "CW" and "propagation" into something that could get me
a visit by homeland security !!

Just a FYI and thought it important to share.

Gary, N5PHT