Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:47:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2006 6:48:14 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
kdutson@sbcglobal.net writes:

I am  going to assemble a 200 foot Rohn 55G tower on the ground,  including
guys.  Then I plan to rent a crane to raise it.  I have  heard this can be
done by attaching the crane at a point about 2/3 up from  the base.  What
problem(s), if any, will be encountered in this  process?  How difficult will
it be to align the base with the lower  legs and insert the bolts?  Any
special procedure to follow for  attaching the guys?

Whoa....not recommended.  I know of no one who has ever put up the  entire
200 footer of Rohn 55 in one pick.  It's an accident waiting to  happen.  I
know
it is possible to lower 200 feet in one pick (not  recommended) because a
local crane company did it around here a few years  ago.

I have put up 100 feet of 55 in one pick with a good crane op and it went
smooth as silk.  I aligned the legs ahead of time to make sure they fit
exactly
right...and then I swabbed the legs up with lithium grease so they would
slide together easily.  Other than the crane op, it was a two man  operation.
My guess is you could do maybe 120 at most,  but I wouldn't recommend more than
100 feet.  make sure the stub  sticking out of the ground is not higher than
about four feet above ground since  it is more difficult to get the legs
together if it is higher.

I plan to do 90 feet of 65 out in KH6 over the winter and have no
reservations about that.

Bill K4XS