Re: [TowerTalk] Wind 3 Second Gust Speeds

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind 3 Second Gust Speeds
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:07:57 -0400
At 12:20 PM 9/21/06, W7CE wrote:

>Do tower manufactures like US Tower rate their towers based on the 3-second
>gust, 10-minute average or hourly mean?  I don't think I've ever seen a
>tower spec that indicated which one they are using.

Towers are typically spec'd according to EIA/TIA-222. Prior to the
current version (-G) , EIA/TIA-222 used "fastest mile" averaging for
wind speeds. "Fastest mile" is a wind speed dependent averaging
interval that is not the same as any of 3-second gust, 10-minute
average or hourly mean.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK