Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete in the ground! But...

To: "'Larry G'" <larry@k7mi.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete in the ground! But...
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 07:49:27 -0400
Larry,

Looking at the turnbuckles this morning, it certainly seems more likely that
the bottom threaded shaft would bend before the anchor rod, which is a much
bigger piece of steel. If the shaft bends, I think it would become
impossible to turn the turnbuckles, which is bad.

I like the idea of pre-bending the anchor, but would like to get endorsement
of the idea from others on TT before trying it. What say, TT?

Although there's a fair amount of rod sticking out of the concrete and the
leverage is pretty good, it doesn't seem to me that I could bend the rod by
simply pushing. There's nothing nearby on which to secure a come-along. One
idea would be to use a backhoe to slowly apply pressure to align the rod.
The backhoe is returning to fill and tamp the holes next week. Good idea or
bad idea?

73, Dick WC1M