Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew low voltage surge suppressors?

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"'Keith Dutson'" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,"'Tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew low voltage surge suppressors?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:57:20 -0400
Jim Lux wrote:

> Why not put all the electronics out at the antennas, and just
> send ethernet or serial data out?

Not a bad idea for a single array, but probably not physically practical for
the complex system that will be hanging off my tower. All of the controllers
can be operated via RS-232, so that's not the problem. The problem is that I
would have to locate three SteppIR controllers, three Green Heron
controllers, and one MicroHam StackMax at the tower. This would take a big
NEMA box! Also, I'd have to come up with an RS-232 controller for the SO2R
switch, also located at the tower. Could do that with a PIC I guess. Another
complication is that I'd have to run AC to the tower, which I elected not to
do this time because of the cost running buried conduit and the potential
for running into ledge.

However, I am planning on running CAT5e to the tower so I can bring my
laptop down there and operate the station remotely. Great for testing rotors
and TIC rings, doing power loss measurements, etc.

73, Dick WC1M