Re: [TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical

To: RadioIR@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 meter vertical
From: mike l dormann <w7dra@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:26:41 -0700
Speaking of 160 meter antennas, for the Oceania CW DX contest I will be
on Kauai, Hawaii and plan to use some form of "Z" antenna ( half wave of
wire, the center portion vertical, with the ends horizontal, voltage fed
with a tuner, minimal radials.

Depending upon the tree situation, it could be a PVCC double L center fed
with 300 ohm twin lead.

I will have two nights for experimentation and testing (Wednesday and
Thursday) before the contest, and if I find good propagation and all goes
well, I plan to spend the first 1/2 of each night time contest hour on
160.

I also plan 'not' to have a 160m VFO so will be on 1822, 1828 or 1843. I
am experimenting with my
HW16 in paralleling a second 6GE5, as I would like at least 100 watts
out.

On my occasional Dxpiditions i often see large tower set ups languishing
and dream about using such a support, instead of a palm

mike W7DRA