[TowerTalk] My Rotor

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] My Rotor
From: "Tim Holmes" <w8tahradio@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 13:25:19 -0400
Hi folks:

about 2 weeks or so ago, you folks helped me identify my CDE TR44
series 3 rotor and controller, i found the new cap that it looked like
it needed and replaced it, hooked everything up carefully (with ring
terminals even) and plugged it in. and....

NOTHING

the lights on the control box light, and the needle deflects, but that
is all that happens.

Although I am an Extra Class Ham, electronics is (to say the least)
not my strong point.  I started looking at the manual that one of you
pointed me to and followed the procedure for troubleshooting the rotor
from the ground.  The manual that i used for this testing is located
at:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/cde/tr44/

the procedure is located on page 4.  The results of my tests are as follows:

to check              Resistance (what it should be)        What it is
      between terminals
1/2 motor winding           1.5 ohms                              2.3
               1-8
1/2 motor winding           1.5 ohms                              2.3
               1-4
1/2 motor + switch          1.5 ohms                              OL
              1-5
1/2 motor + switch          1.5 ohms                              OL
              1-6
Entire Motor                    3.0 ohms
4.7                 4-8
Right Limit Switch           0.0 Ohms                             OL
              8-5
Left Limit Switch             0.0 ohms                              OL
                4-6
Entire Pot Strip               500 Ohms
505               3-7
Pot arm to + end            0 - 500 ohms                         303
             1-3
Pot arm to - end             0 - 500 ohms                         197
              1-7

These readings were taken directly on the terminal strip of the rotor
-- (it is still on the ground)

I opened the case of the rotor to look for anything obvious (burn
marks, corrosion, broken or loose wires etc) and didnt see anything.

If anyone has any suggestions or things to try i would be most
appreciative, as i said, im not an electronics GURU, but I am a
computer geek, and im pretty good at following directions etc.

thanks for all your time and assistance.

Tim Holmes
W8TAH