Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base advise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base advise
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:56:12 -0400
AFAIK, unless one is pouring a very shallow layer of concrete (such as
for a driveway), vibration is always needed, and concrete wet enough not
to need vibration is likely to be too weak.

Unless methods have changed since I had anything to do with construction
projects, the way to determine the strength of concrete is to pour one
or more test cylinders from each load, then measure what force it takes
to crush them. And, yes, if the cylinders failed, all the concrete
sometimes had to be jack-hammered out and the pour started over. In your
case, I guess you'll just have to trust the concrete company -- but you
could always specify a higher strength to give you a better safety
margin. My concrete contractor says that he always orders a
higher-strength mix than that specified.

73

Alan NV8A