Re: [TowerTalk] Redressing / straightening aluminium elements.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Redressing / straightening aluminium elements.
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:33:27 -0500
Robert (G0HGW) said:

> I do not think 'just bending them back in the other direction' is a
> possible solution.  Because I am sure they would not bend in the
> correct place and it could also snap them due repeated bending
> in the same place.

I routinely hand-straighten bent element pices.  Some great antennas have
risen from piles of destroyed antenna bones.  The results are not pefect
but:

1. you can't tell from a distance
2. you can still work people just fine
3. with experience you get better at it
4. you can save a lot of money

I imagine part of my frame of reference is because I have a large boneyard,
therefore a seemingly endless supply of parts of all kinds of ham antennas
(years of collecting).  That takes the fear out of experimenting - if you
mess one up, you just rry again with another one.

Robert, let me know if you break something and maybe I have another one
around here I can send you.

Mark, N5OT